January 04, 2012

ཏོག། ཐོག།

tog, thog:

Most probably tog and thog were initially phonetic cognates or orthographic variants and that both meant “top” of something. A significant difference is that tog is always used as a noun (“top,” “tip,” “crest”) whereas thog has a wider semantic range and is used as a noun (i.e. “top” (of something), “roof,” “ceiling,” “storey,” and “thunderbolt”), adverb, and preposition. See Jäschke 1881: s.v. thog.

1. me tog “fire-top,” i.e. an entity whose top (tog) looks like fire (me) is a flower. See “Feuer-Spitze” = “Blume” (Schwieger 2009: 39). The orthography me thog does not seem to occur.
2. zhugs tog (archaic) = me tog (brDa dkrol gser gyi me long, s.v. zhugs tog). 
3. khang thog “house-top,” i.e. roof or ceiling
4. shing tog/thog “tree-top,” i.e. an entity that grows atop (tog/thog) a tree or plant (shing) is fruit or produce. Cf. “Baum-Spitze” = “Frucht” (Schwieger 2009: 39).
5. ya tog “upper top” = “produce” (’bras bu) (brDa dkrol gser gyi me long, s.v. ya tog). 
6. lo tog/thog “annual fruit/produce,” i.e. harvest or crop. See Jäschke 1881: s.v. lo.
7. ston thog “autumnal fruit,” i.e. harvest. See Jäschke 1881: s.v. ston.
8. Examine: What does tog in za ma tog mean?


I wonder if thunderbolt or lightning is called thog in Tibetan because it is a bolt that comes from the blue above (thog). 


No comments:

Post a Comment